Fall 2017 Public Sewing/Textile Arts Locations in Houston!
In Fall 2017, the Creativity Shell plans to offer public sewing/textile arts classes at 5 Harris County Public Libraries, 2 Houston Public Libraries and 2 Houston Public Schools!
The Creativity Shell is a registered 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization on a mission to use creative trades to educate and inspire the next generation of makers. Our organization teaches sewing/textile arts classes to students in public libraries, schools and shelters that rescue children from homelessness and human trafficking. Sewing/textile arts classes are designed to educate and inspire children by teaching them essential life and practical skills.
Thirty years ago, home economics programs such as sewing, cooking and shop classes were a standard part of the education system. Today, most home economics programs have been removed from schools and many children are not learning these skills at home. In order to offer our sewing/textile arts classes free of costs to students in public libraries, schools and shelters that rescue children from homelessness and human trafficking, the Creativity Shell needs your tax deductible donations!
When the Creativity Shell began teaching sewing/textile arts classes in local schools we were faced with a larger crisis that we initially imagined. One of the biggest challenges we are facing with our programs is the lack of practical skills among the students we are teaching. In our classes, we have high school students who cannot tie their own shoelaces, students cannot cut fabrics with scissors, they cannot thread needles and many cannot fix a button if it were to fall off their shirt. Furthermore, the lack in their ability to use practical skills adds to extreme frustration and poor problem solving skills and decision-making skills.
Public Sewing and Textile Arts Classes for Fall 2017 will be held at the following locations. Please click on each link to donate to that campaign.
- Evelyn Meadows Public Library – Funded (This program was funded through summer camps held at the Creativity Shell Studio in Kingwood.
- Katy Branch Library – 5414 Franz Rd, Katy, TX 77493
- Aldine Branch Library – 11331 Airline Dr, Houston, TX 77037
- South Houston Library – 607 Avenue A, Houston, TX 7758
- Jungman Neighborhood Library – 5830 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77057
- Young Neighborhood Library – 5107 Griggs Rd, Houston, TX 77021
- Kingwood Branch Library – 4400 Bens View Ln, Kingwood, TX 77339
- Garden Oaks Montessori School – 901 Sue Barnett Dr, Houston, TX 77018
- Young Women’s College Preparatory Academy– 1906 Cleburne, Houston, TX 77004
In order to conduct these programs, the Creativity Shell needs your support. Your donation enables our organization to send out qualified teachers, materials and supplies to educate and inspire the next generation of makers!
* Donations to a program do not guarantee your child’s enrollment in that program. Enrollment is conducted through the schools/libraries and are on a first come first serve basis.
* If a program is not fully funded, donations will be reserved for the program until the campaign goal is met or funds may be transferred to a neighboring library/school to fully fund another program that has not met their full campaign goal.