Notice: Trying to get property 'post_excerpt' of non-object in /home/creativityshell/public_html/wp-content/themes/magazine-7-plus-3/inc/hooks/blocks/block-post-header.php on line 16
This Giving Tuesday – SEWPORT 84!
This Giving Tuesday, the Creativity needs you to SEWPORT 84!
We need 84 new sewing machines and are trying to raise $5,000 to reach our goal.
The Creativity Shell teaches customized and structured sewing classes to students in schools, public libraries and shelters that rescue children from homelessness and human trafficking. Educational psychology concepts derived from the research of John Dewey, Jean Piaget, Sutton-Smith Play Theory, Reggio Emilia and Bruner’s Discovery Learning are used to design each class that we teach. Our programs are also designed to wean students off instant gratification while teaching life/practical skills such as decision-making, patience, coping, philanthropy and perseverance. These skills are continually reinforced into fun sewing/textile arts projects that children love to make and share with their friends and families.
This January, we will be offering 7 new sewing programs (in addition to the 8 other full time programs we teach) at the following locations and need 12 new sewing machines for each location:
– Tony’s Place – Drop in shelter LGBT homeless youth.
– Freeman Public Library – First library/makerspace in Houston!
– Yellowstone Academy – Inner City private school.
– Hillendahl Neighborhood Library – Neighborhood with below average elementary/middle school.
– Ring Neighborhood Library – Neighborhood with below average middle school.
– Garden Oaks Montessori School – HISD Magnet school.
– Baldwin Boettcher Public Library – Neighborhood with average elementary/middle & high school.
New machines are needed to create uniformity within our classrooms, reduce the need for transportation of sewing machines and to resolve schedule conflict with 2 or more classes operating at the same time.
Please log into: www.power2give.org/campaigns/677 at 9AM (10 EST) to SEWPORT 84!
Our generous sponsors, the Houston Arts Alliance will contribute $1 for ever $1 donated up to $5000 while supplies last.